Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Fallout of Educational Brain Explosion

I was a teacher in training, and then my head blew up. I'm not the steadiest skinny chinese man to begin with, so with the germ warfare, insomnia, endless workload and screaming children, pop pop pop went my skull.

Near the beginning I knew it wasn't really something suited to my personality type (dysfunctional), but the prospect of actually being a useful person with tangible worth made me stick to it. Plus, this wasn't an explosion without its charms.

I'll absolutely miss my kids. They were funny, crazy, loud, smart and all-around endearing. And since these are Grade 3 students we're talking about, there was an especially paternal aspect to my role with them. It hurt to leave. I also met some already inspiring teachers and people in the program. They were awesome comrades on the front line.

But I've been picking up the pieces of my head over the last couple months. Unfortunately, it kept exploding in the process. Other insane and sad things happened, but it's all helped me face up to which pieces I really want to keep and what I really want to do with my tiny grenade life.

It struck me that for all these years of holding on so tightly to the dream of being a writer, I never even tried to do it. I was too afraid to ease my grip and let it take its baby steps, because I wasn't convinced it could even learn to walk. So that's what I'm trying to do now. At least for a while, at least once, and then I can go be practical again.

This new blog, complete with new ridiculous name, will serve as the headquarters for these writing adventures. Thanks for reading, whether a little or a lot.

4 comments:

  1. IT'S BEEN ALMOST 15 HOURS SINCE THE LAST POST. PLEASE UPDATE AGAIN.

    In all seriousness I'm excited to see what you got up your sleeve :) Need the Verm Chronicles in PDF format for research?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! YES I DO! You can send it to me over two weeks and it can be your 2weeker.

      Delete
  2. A new chapter then... and best of luck for it, I know I'm looking forward to your creative outputs :)

    ReplyDelete